[Rhodes22-list] mast raising procedures

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 17:56:16 EDT 2005

Peter,

The forward lowers should have the 8" extensions added and then connected to
their chain plates.  These help to prevent side sway in the mast as it's
going up (or down)  As the mast gets higher, the upper shrouds take over to
prevent the sway.  Both uppers and forward lowers combine to prevent the
sway.  That leaves the aft lowers available to hook up to the crane.

I can see where your method (using the forward lowers to the crane) would
certainly save some time, but it's not as safe.  I usually do this procedure
on the water, so any waves or rocking the boat would cause the mast to sway
from side to side, so I need to use the four shrouds to prevent that.

Hope this helps,

Slim