[Rhodes22-list] Hurricane Damage

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 13 18:19:46 EDT 2005

Joseph:  I'm sure there were anchors off the sterns of some boats as there
were still some visible lines off of sterns and bows when we got home.  I
don't know about any tangling as most folks were moving very slowly and
cautiously.

You have probably head that there is a move in Florida to order all vessels
out of marinas when a hurricane watch is issued.  Sounds good I guess to the
politicians but I wonder if they have any idea what they are asking?  Can
you just see all of those boats anchoring all over the place?  I believe
that would cause more damage than what was experienced.  Better marina
design and closer monitoring of how vessels are tied up would solve a lot of
problems.  I was down at the marina where I kept the R22 yesterday as they
had offered me a slip for the T37.  I went to check it out.  I could not
believe what I saw: very large boats improperly tied off with undersized
lines. (Note:  There were some that were properly tied but they were the
minority.)  Dock Masters are in short supply and probably underpaid.  I am
going to keep our boat where it is even if it is a bit more inconvenient.

There was an item in the news today as local governments wrestle with the
problem of sunk and abandoned boats: a couple of hundred in our area alone.
The bill is causing a lot of backlash for boat owners.  The company that
hauls them has to hold them for a time period to allow the owners ample time
to claim their vessel.  Of course no one is expected to come forward as they
will receive a bill for the salvage cost.

The slip proposed to me is at a marina that suffered considerable damage to
the outside slips and boats when a seventy odd foot behemoth broke loose
from a marina to the south and took out three marina and dozens of boats as
she was pushed around by the storm.  The irony, the fellow who owned the
boat came along and started it and motored off after the storm.  Officials
have since caught up with him but I don't know whether he will be held
liable or not.  Hope he had good insurance.  This boat should not have been
at the marina where it was berthed as it was way out of proportion to
anything in the area and the dock facility was not designed for a vessel of
this size.

The Ft. Pierce City Marina took considerable damage but according to the
stories circulating the cause was that the floating docks wend up and over
the pilings with the surge.  The pilings were too short.

I am certainly no expert on the subject of marina design but I have watched
these waters for 16 years and "almost" every marina is designed for fair
weather.  There are a couple of exceptions but their berthing cost would
eliminate a goodly percentage of us.

I would like to sail off to the British and US Virgins to get away from this
but it is hurricane season there too!  {:>)

Bob