[Rhodes22-list] Anchors

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Wed Jun 22 10:24:28 EDT 2005

Bill E.,
Sounds like you are fast becoming the anchor expert on the list.  I've got
two Fortress FX-7 anchors (I replaced the 13lb. danforth that I lost on my
last trip with another FX-7 because I was so impressed with its
performance).  I am looking at getting a grapnel but wonder what size, so
please let us know what works well with the Rhodes.  Also, have you ever
used a mushroom type anchor with any success?  I have heard that they don't
have any holding power to speak of, but maybe they would be good as a lunch
hook in calm waters with little current?  What weight would you recommend?

Bill W.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Bill Effros            |
|         |           <bill at effros.com>      |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           rhodes22-list-bounces at r|
|         |           hodes22.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           06/22/2005 07:47 AM    |
|         |           Please respond to The  |
|         |           Rhodes 22 mail list    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       The Rhodes 22 mail list <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Rhodes22-list] Anchors                                                                                  |

Slim,

Rummy doesn't know me.

Of course I store anchors under the seat. (As well as on the bow and in
the Laz.)

I can get to the ones under the seat fastest.

I have a long line flaked in a Rubbermaid 11 gallon under the port
seat.  The line has a snap shackle on the end.  There is no chain on
this line.  On top of the line are 3 anchors:  a Fortress, in parts,
inside a nylon bag designed for the purpose; and 2 folding grapnels of
different weights--either 1 1/2 and 3 lbs. or 3 lbs. and 5 lbs. -- I'm
experimenting this summer.

I can snap on and deploy either of the grapnels in less than a minute.
The Fortress takes 3-5 minutes to assemble and deploy.  I can teach crew
to assemble as we approach an anchoring spot.

The Rubbermaid is deployed toward the bow under the seat where it cannot
escape from under the seat without first being slid sternward.  It never
escapes when heeling.  The anchors cannot jump over the lip the
Rubbermaid and under the lip of the seat at the same time.  There are no
exposed anchor tines.

I use these anchors most because they are most accessible.  I anchor
from the stern most of the time because I am lazy.

Bill Effros