[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Review Survey

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Wed Jun 22 19:05:33 EDT 2005

>>>  > Joshua Colvin
>>> Managing Editor
>>> Small Craft Advisor
>>> 907 Anchor
>>> Morro Bay CA 93442
>>>
>>> 805-771-9393
>>> www.smallcraftadvisor.com
>>> email: smallcraftadvisor at earthlink.net

One of the owners asked me to answer for him, so - for comic relief::

>>> ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BOAT:
>>> Your name:  Rhodes 22
>>> Your boat's name:  The Placebo Effect
>>> Boat make and length:  General Boats Rhodes 22
>>> Year of manufacture: I am a lady and don't give out that information
>>> Please tell us a little about the extent of your sailing experience.
>>> Small boat sailing since 1938  Learned on a homemade 11' something or
>>> other - then a wood Lightning until the wood mast broke then moved on to
>>> a wooden abondoned Snipe which I took on a two week cruise up the Hudson
>>> to see if my significant future other really liked sailing or was just
>>> faking the screaming.   Never took any lessons and it shows but did win
>>> my first race and immediately retired from racing to keep my perfect
>>> record in tackt.  Hung up the pants used since learned by that seat. .
>>> Imported Corsairs and Ponants and other French plywod boats to test the
>>> US Sailboat market.  Finally came out with the Picnic 17 which was a
>>> combination sailboat and a skiing boat that didn't do too well so gave
>>> the idea to Roger.   Although I currently build Rhodes 22s I don't own
>>> one because I charge too much.
>>>
>>> PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS:
>>> Please give us your general impressions on the following subjects:
>>> Ease of trailering:  No problem. Except when I looked out the widow and
>>> saw the boat passing me.  Have towed the equialent of a dozen or so
>>> times around the world without much excietment.  After awile you don't
>>> know you are towing it until you notice in the mirror that you are being
>>> followed by a boat. Ease of launching and retrieving:  So easy that if
>>> you get challanged to race, make sure the race starts and ends with all
>>> entries on their trailers. The boat self launches by applying the car
>>> brakes - be prepared to swim.  For show offs like me sailing oto the
>>> trailer gets lots of applause but the lowered centerboard deserves the
>>> credit. Ease of rigging:  The instructions say that one man can raise
>>> the mast - we just have not found him yet.   But at 79 I can do it
>>> single handed - if I use the crosss oer mast hoist system. Lowering is
>>> no problem - I just pull all the pins and run like hell. .
>> How the boat performs in light airs:  Light airs are its big number.  I
>> am accused of having an inboard.
>>> How fast the boat is:  Can manage 65 on the trailer.  8 surfing and 5 to
>>> 6 when the weather and I are at our best.  Have passed all sorts of
>>> racing craft going the other way.  How well it points:  not as good as
>>> my dog - but it is not a dog when considering it is a combination keel
>>> centerboarder.

Initial stability:  Wonderful for a lightweight like me standing out on the
hiking seat gunnels. But then very tender and then suddenly very stiff.
Trully tried but never een able to turn one over under sail. Something about
the flared hull..
>>> SEAWORTHINESS:
>>> How does your boat perform in heavy weather?  Heavy airs are its big
>>> number.  How can you say that about light and heavey airs?  Easy: lower
>>> the pop top, lower the boom (wich lowers the center of sail
>>> efort),shorten the IMF and fly a hankerchief that can be made out of the
>>> reefed 175 genoa, put the cockpit cushions away to expose the seats heel
>>> grooves nd get the crew up on the flared gunnels and ou have a different
>>> animal that is good for up to 29 knot winds..   Is the boat forgiving?
>>> More so than my wife (but not as tender) Does it inspire confidence?
>>> TheRhodes uncovered four niches:  The 45 foot ownr wo wants to get back
>>> to the fun of small boat hndling but does ot want to give up the
>>> amenities they have grown accustomed to on the big guy.  The beginner
>>> who likes the foam floataiton and hard to turn over and throtability of
>>> the sail to match their learning curve. The realistic sailer who does
>>> not want to go bigger than 22 but wants the most 22 out there.  And the
>>> the sailor who wants a boat so easy to sail he or she can stay home.
>>> This group will really love next seasnon's model becuse it tells you if
>>> you had a good time or not when it gets back.
>>> Is it dry-riding? With the flared hull there is no contest.  Not a fair
>>> question. Does it exhibit a
weather helm?
  You left no box for
>>> neutral.  Tweaking can get you wither side of neutral.
 Is cockpit drainage adequate in your opinion?  Yes.  We never had a problem
in ten