[Rhodes22-list] Traveler, Slim's question

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 15:41:11 EDT 2005

Ed and Rummy,

I think my sails are probably a bit blown out as well although I'm not sure
how to tell.  But the boat performs noticeably better up wind when I take
the traveler to whether and get the boom right on the center line.  (light
winds)

I have not tried Wally's single line system but it doesn't solve the
ergonomic problem.  Normally, what I do when I tack is to dump the traveler
first and let the wind take it to the other side, cleat it off and then deal
with the jib.  This works OK for a tack, but if I dump it in a gust, it's
much harder to do.  I'm more likely to deal with a gust the lazy way--by
turning upwind--which often makes for luffing and losing speed.

I don't race but I still try to get the best performance I can.

Slim