[Rhodes22-list] Playing at Anchor

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Jun 25 23:06:26 EDT 2005

Bill,

Calling it "an anchorage" gives it a little more credit than it
deserves.  It was more like open water where if anything went wrong no
one would get hurt.  According to my charts it was around 20 feet deep,
but I didn't know that at the time.

I can't really tell you what the bottom looked like, because the anchor
came up totally clean.

I used no chain, and will probably shortly remove all chain from my
rodes, although I'll probably keep 20 feet or so on board for no good
reason.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that, despite
what we repeatedly read, chain undermines the functionality of modern,
high-tech, lightweight anchors.

The point (and I use this word advisedly) of modern anchors is that
their exposed tips will dig into the bottom no matter how they are
oriented when they initially touch.  Once dug in, it is important to
maintain constant pressure on the anchor to keep it from releasing.
It's like keeping a fish on the line.

22 feet of chain is likely to be heavier than any anchor I want to use.
When the current and wind slacken, or cancel each other out, my boat
will be lying at chain rather than lying at anchor.  All the upward
pressure from my boat at the surface will be released from the tips of
my anchor, causing it to lose its grip on the bottom.  This is the exact
opposite of the conditions the anchor was designed for.

All of the pictures of catenary curves on small pleasure boats at anchor
are absurd.  Look at them when you are at anchor.  They all pull the
rode straight.

Putting 22 feet of chain at the bottom of a much longer piece of line
will not make the line any stronger.  It's not going to break anyhow.

The notion that the line might get cut or abraded on the bottom is
completely wrong.  The line wants to float.  It only sinks to the bottom
if you put chain on it.  If you only attach it to the stem of the
anchor, it should never touch bottom at all.  Even if everything goes
slack top side.  It will not pull the anchor out of the bottom, nor will
it be damaged by the bottom.

I'll play some more, and I urge you to do the same.  The all-line rode,
combined with a lightweight modern anchor, is totally safe, and highly
reliable.

Bill Effros