[Rhodes22-list] Playing at Anchor

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Jun 27 21:06:34 EDT 2005

Bill Effros wrote:
> ...  The all-line rode,
> combined with a lightweight modern
> anchor, is totally safe, and highly
> reliable.
-------------------------------------

Bill,

I have been following your discussion of
anchors and the practice of anchoring with
great interest.  You have developed some
ideas that I will be trying out in clement
conditions.

But, there's a sort of "When in Rome..."
aspect to anchoring.

Were I sailing along side you in your home
waters, I'd ask you what you were using to
anchor, and generally follow your advice.

But here in Maine, in my waters, I'll use
some chain for overnight mooring, as the
bottom is unpredictable, tending toward
sharp ledge.  Even with the best trip
lines, retrieval rings, etc., we
occasionally lose an anchor to a cleft in
a ledge.  I'd sooner have something with
a lot of abrasion/cut resistance on the
first few feet of rode.

This is a matter of personal preference,
no doubt, but with a strong deference to
local practices.  It's hard to discount
400 years of downeast experience.

I am looking forward to your continued
and enlightening commentary.
--
Robert Skinner
9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, Maine 04038-1331