[Rhodes22-list] Kayaks/outboard dinghies?

James Wilson jwilson22 at prodigy.net
Sun Jun 26 19:32:30 EDT 2005

Just in case some mighht be interested, here is the link to the Spindrift line [asge.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/spin.htm

James Wilson <jwilson22 at prodigy.net> wrote:

>Has anyone had any recent epiphanies or positive/negative experiences with kayaks or dinghies and the R 22.
>
>I've been procrastinating on the decision for a long time and can see certain disadvantages and advantages to each.
>
>I remember reading posts on the foldable port-a-boat, too.

If you have a bent to, or wish to comission a build, it is very hard to beat the lgiht weight and convenience of stowing a marine plywood built nesting pram such as B&B's Catspaw 2 paw.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/cpaw.htm

the 9 footer will give you all the carrying capacity of a Walker bay 10, and it will only take up 5 feett of length of valuable deck top realestate when nested and stowed on board the Rhodes. Further it only wieighs 75-85 lbs compared to the Walker Bay's 150 lbs. And it will be much easier to row and be a far better sailor than the Walker Bays.

Also you could opt for Graham's Spindrift design that is a faster design under row and sail. Absolutely runs circles around the Walker Bay's in sailing and rowing competitions. A pretty fast racing dinghy as far as tender's go.

Either boat will typically take 150 man hrs to build and aboiut 5- 600.00 of materials as a row boat alone. Figure on a 3-400 more for sail kit and at least another 75 hrs build time.

If you opr for rowing as opposed to a small motor, a hard sided tender is much much oreferred over an inflatable. Inflatable's under oars are very tiring for groound covered.