[Rhodes22-list] Playing at Anchor

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Jun 27 11:16:16 EDT 2005

Bill,
I think I'm ready to try your methods after the hassle I had anchoring this
past weekend.  We were out and wanted to take a quick dip so we found a
little cove off to the side of the lake.  All I have is the fluke type
anchor that came with the boat and hangs off the bow.  Well, it's a pain to
deploy just to get to it, off it's mount, and into the water.  The wind was
such that we were being blown into shore so that when it was time to leave I
had my wife prepare to motor as I pulled up the anchor.  As soon as it
lifted off the bottom we started drifting so I had her put the motor in
gear.  Well, now I'm stuck trying to pull up a heavy anchor (much more than
I needed at the time) while it's sailing under water.  We finally got far
enough off shore so we could stop and pull the anchor back on board and
afterwards I was worn out.  Then to have to crawl into the V-berth to stow
the rode back into it's bucket.  I like the idea of a 1 1/2 pounder tied to
the stern and stowed in the laz.  Where we sail is a lake with no currents
and not much wind.  I'll keep the big anchor for if and when I'd ever need
it, but something just to hold the boat while we get wet sounds like a nice
idea.

Rob Lowe
S/V Getaway