[Rhodes22-list] Playing at Anchor

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Mon Jun 27 22:40:39 EDT 2005

Bob,

I agree with your comments. Best to be a prudent sailor and err on the
side of caution. I for one would not want to see someone come in to an
anchorage that I've taken the trouble to drop the hook  in and watch
them throw out a light anchor and minimal rode. A boater must be
responsible for his/her boat and ensure that they don't drag down on
someone. It's happened to me one night. The captain was fast asleep as
the wind picked up and his boat was heading for us.

I think there seems to be a "minimialist attitude" sweeping the Rhodes
list that encourages less than the best of what can be used. I'm for
overkill, be it anchors, rodes, dock lines etc. BTW, there's an article
in the latest Cruising world/Sailing/Seaworthy (forgot which) that deals
with mooring lines and relative strength. One area of concern is
continued use of nylon lines after they become stiff, etc. Seem they're
more liable to break at that point. The article was aimed at hurricane
prep the failures that occur during storms.

Seaworthy has a really good article on USCG and the lifeboat service.
For those who thought I was an alarmist regarding Okacroke Inlet and
Cape Hattaras area, you should read this article. It tells how the Coast
Guard coxswains are rated at 3 levels with the lowest being able to
handle a boat in 30 mph winds, the next level over 30 mph and the top
level at any kind of weather. They're needed to handle boats in rescue
missions where boaters most often get into trouble. Hattaras and
Okacroke are among the top couple of areas in the country. The article
tells why seas are so confused and dangerous, with the Gulf Stream
colliding into the Labador currents going south. This creates the
shoaling and the problems navigating the area. BTW, a Nor'easter seems
to be a hurrince without the tropical heat and lacks a name. Good thing
cause our insurance includes a higher deductable for "named storms"

Alex Bell