[Rhodes22-list] Playing at Anchor

Julie Thorndycraft julie at circle7.net
Mon Jun 27 23:08:57 EDT 2005

A big thank you to those who are supporting the 'more is better' methodology
of anchoring.  Using a light anchor for a lunch hook is perfectly
acceptable. Giving our fellow readers the impression that using the same is
acceptable for an overnight or unattended anchorage is not. Safety is the
issue here and trying to reset an anchor in 30+ knot winds at 3am during a
thunderstorm does not meet the safety requirement. Chain will help keep the
anchor set as seas and winds increase. When it comes to anchoring, more is
better (providing your scope is not so extensive that you swing into your
neighbor).

As Blue Loon heads to the North Channel in a couple of weeks, we will have
three anchors - a Delta, the Rhodes issue Danforth, and a small Danforth
used as a 'lunch hook' and with the dinghy. We carry chain and rode to allow
for deployment of two anchors, if necessary. If needed, we'll use the rode
of one to tie off to shore in a med-mooring fashion.

We carry alot of extra gear on our boat, but if I need space the anchors
will not be removed. I plan on sleeping without the anchor drag alarm going
off on my GPS.

Julie
s/v Blue Loon