[Rhodes22-list] backstay tension/traveler bar

P&M Beals beals at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 29 10:04:22 EDT 2005

Looking  back at the Rhodes 22 instruction booklet, the FAQ on the Rhodes 22
site, I read that the backstay tension is the  thing that keeps the traveler
bar in place, is that correct?   On our boat it seems to be the case even
though the traveler bar has a small hole at each end, and one would think
the piece on the backstay into which the bar fits might have a hole as well,
so you could insert a clevis pin?? but clearly there isn't any such hole to
receive a clevis pin...

so it comes down to the backstay tension being tight enough to keep that
traveler bar securely in place....

Please advise me if this is correct.

Last evening with 12-15 mph winds we jibed, the boom swung over hard and the
traveler bar came loose, knocking my husband across the head...while he did
not feel OK as we were feebly asking "Are you OK?" he has recovered fine
with one Advil...

This brings me to my second question regarding Loos tension gauges...
I read a piece in the FAQ on those by Roger...do most of you check the
tension of your stays at the beginning of the season?

How do I know which Loos guage to get? Is the size of the stay wire the
measurement that I find in the West Marine catalog?
3/32"- 5/32"

3/16"-9/32"

1/4"-3/8"

these are some of the choices, also regular vs. pro.

Thanks for any help...while Mike has recovered fine from the blow, I don't
want to sail with any guests on board until I get this figured out...nor to
sail in any but the lightest winds.  For beginners I guess we have to just
tighten up the backstay as much as possible?  We thought we had it pretty
snug a month ago.

Phyllis
Whisper