[Rhodes22-list] backstay tension/traveler bar

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Jun 30 04:43:18 EDT 2005

Phyllis,

This is a bit of a mystery because, as Ed said, if there's sufficient
tension on the back stay tensioning line (and "sufficient" means as tight as
you can get it) then the traveler bar should not come out of its sockets.
But obviously it did, and clobbered the helmsman, so something is wrong.

As a quick fix, I would double check the tensioning line and make sure you
have it rigged right and as tight as you can get it.  Once you've done that,
test it by trying with all your might to see if you can get the bar out of
the sockets.  I know on my boat, I could never get the bar out of the
sockets without loosening the tensioning line.  In fact I've tried this.
When I set up my boom room, I disconnect one side of the traveler bar and
swing the tiller around behind it to keep it out of the way for the night.
There's no way I can get that puppy out of there without slacking the
tensioning line.

However, even if you can make it stay put, the traveler bar could still
twist within the sockets and wind up in a less desirable position.  You want
it to remain in place with the cleats on the top.  (although, the more I
think about it, the less worried I'd be about that.)  Nevertheless, you want
to get it pinned so you can have total piece of mind about it.

If you or hubby or a friend is a little "handy" you should be able to drill
a hole in the socket to accommodate the pin.  But like Ed has been
explaining, it's not a "clevis pin"  It's a "quick pin" that has a tiny
spring-loaded ball in the leading end of it that keeps it from falling out.
That's different from a clevis which pokes all the way through and requires
a cotter pin or cotter ring through a hole in the end to hold it in
place--like the ones on your shrouds connecting to the chain plates.  Some
quick pins have a push-button release mechanism on the end to ease the
little keeper ball, and others are just spring loaded and you just give them
a firm push/pull and they go in/out.  That's the type you saw in the picture
of Rummy's set-up.  It has a ring on the back end to get your finger through
to get a grip.  With a quick pin, you won't need to drill all the way
through.  You only need one hole in the socket and one hole in the bar.
Then you stick the pin in and it stays put.

Drilling the hole might be a little tricky but doable.  You'll need to
measure carefully to get the hole in the right place to line up with the
hole in the bar.  Once you've got it measured and marked, you'll need to
stamp it with an punch or awl to make a little dimple or indentation.  This
will provide a seat for the drill bit.  Without a dimple, your drill bit
will wonder and you don't want that.  But you might not be able to do this
with the mast up.  You'll have to put the socket down on something solid
like a vice or the dock or something that doesn't give when you're trying to
hammer in this little dimple.  I'd suggest starting with a very small drill
bit to make a tiny pilot hole first, then graduate to the larger bit.  My
guess is that the hole should be approx. 1/4".  To determine the right size,
first get a quick pin that fits in the traveler bar hole and go from there.
I'm guessing here, but the pin should be about 1/4' in diameter and about 1
and 1/2" long.  The length is less critical than the width.  You could go as
short as 1/2".  It just needs to poke through the matching holes on the top
of the assembly.

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Slim