[Rhodes22-list] Peter Thorn and other racers

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:30:27 EST 2005

Hank and Ben, We keep it confusing so that people take sailing classes.
There is no short answer to the Leach inquiry.  Rummy looked to have a lot
of Draft (curved foil shape) in his sail which would lend a lot of power to
the sail but he also had a lot of twist (the top portion of the sail was
further from center line than the boom) which was spilling air.  The two
appeared to be cancelling out each other and giving him a nice flat ride.
Buddy Melges wrote a great book on sail trim if you are afflicted with the
need to "Go Fast".  If they were in a race for the last rum and coke in the
state I think he would be faster to reduce sail, pull down on the boom to
take the draft out of the leach and reduce the twist until there was no air
getting spilled.  With that said, such effort and attention runs contrary to
everything I like about sailing.

Bob Weber
Odyssey Sailing School