[Rhodes22-list] Slot effect

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 12:59:57 EST 2005

Bob,

This will be quick because I'm about to use the "slot
effect" to get this bad boy off the ground.  The
leading edge devices on a jet work just like the jib
and main.  Besides more wing/sail area, you do create
a venturi effect.  Bernoulli said when you accelerate
a fluid you decrease its pressure.  When air passes
between the main and jib, it is accelerated, creating
a more of a low pressure area than the two sails would
acting individually.  I'll let Roger give you the
math.  As a cruiser, not a racer, I think the order is
Ginny, Main, Beer.  If it turns into to much work then
its beer, ignition, diesel.

Brad