[Rhodes22-list] Slot effect

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 13:50:09 EST 2005

Ed, I don't know about filling your mailbox but here goes.  Al Gore claims
to have invented the "slot effect" right before the internet to replace our
dependance on neuclear energy (could not resist).  If you don't care about
going fast, forget about it.  Racers are concerned about the slot effect
particulary when sailing to weather.  The slot they are talking about is the
area between the jib or genny and the back side of the main.  Wind comes off
the windward side of the headsail and is funnelled behind the main.  It is
sort of a "Venturi" effect which is supposed to increase wind speed over the
leeward side of the main causing more lift to the main.  Why you would care
about this comes in trimming the sails for maximum speed and pointing
ability.  After tacking on a close hauled course, the speedsters will have
the genny and main eased slightly to build boat speed and then start trimmng
in the sails for close hauled.  Fast boats call this shifting thru the
gears.  The slot effect dictates that you make your final adjustment to the
Genny prior to the main since it is effected by the air comming off the
genny.  Ok, it is not that exciting but if you ever find yourself crewing on
a racing boat you will understand the order of operations (genny then main)
in sail trim and the idea behind it.  Any more information will reveal my
ingornance and disdain for sailing fast so I will stop.

Bob