[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Backwards

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Mar 6 14:58:28 EST 2005

Bill,

Another great tacking technique is sailing backwards.

If you almost cross the wind, but don't quite make it, instead of
reversing everything you've done, hold your ground as the wind starts to
push you backwards.  Steer with the tiller to keep your bow pointed into
the wind until you build some backward momentum.  Remember, everything
on the tiller now works backwards, too -- a great mental challenge.
When you've got some weigh on, sharply turn the tiller so that the bow
is forced to cross the wind.  Then reset the sails, shift into forward,
and sail off.

It's really neat, and you can hear people on other boats saying "how'd
he do that?"

Practice in 10-15 kt. winds.  You need enough wind so you can be pushed
backwards.

Bill Effros