[Rhodes22-list] Tip for Sudden Heavy Winds

Stephen Staum staum at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 15:39:07 EST 2005

Neat trick.  Will it work with the usual large waves (2' or more) associated
with an over 30 knot wind?  I have had problems with the waves pushing the
bow back while tacking in strong winds.

Also, all IMF sailors:  be SURE to cleat your main sail furling line at the
forward cleat on the boom.  I got caught last summer in a very strong wind
and could not pull the boom close enough to the cockpit to reef the main
with the furling line cleated on the aft cleat.  This created an
unneccessarily exciting experience.  A lesson well learned.  SS