[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Backwards

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Mar 7 15:12:54 EST 2005

Bill,

I've tried it.  Couldn't make it work.  The limit on being able to sail
the Rhodes in any direction you select is somewhere between 30-35 kts.
of wind.  At that point the side of the boat picks up so much wind that
there are directions you just can't go.  With that much wind everything
happens fast.  If you heave-to you will have trouble holding the boat
speed under 3 kts--which means you are on a lee shore much sooner than
you expected.  The boat will also easily plane, and you can do 7-9 kts
in many directions.  Where I sail, on Long Island Sound, which has a
strong current that changes direction every 6 hours, the wind can
produce very choppy seas.  I generally head back for my mooring when the
wind is in the true 30-35kt range.  It's not a time for fooling around.

Bill Effros