[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Trouble

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Mar 8 09:10:19 EST 2005

In an emergency it is possible to steer a Rhodes-22 with the outboard--off.

Try it.

Loosen the friction on the outboard.  Lower the outboard to its normal
motoring position, but do not turn it on. Take the rudder out of the
water.  Sail away, steering with the outboard tiller.

Coming about can be difficult under these circumstances, but you can
always jibe.  Apart from that, you can do just about anything you want
to do if you plan far enough in advance, and don't heel so far that the
outboard leaves the water.  Oh, and no sculling.

Bill Effros