[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Trouble

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:47:18 EST 2005

Slim, I could not open the picture but with out seeing the rot I am still
inclined to advise to order a new one from West or somewhere.  That is the
business end of the tiller where all the force is exerted (think back to the
teeter tooter diagram in gradeschool geometry).  It probably won't fail
untill you are in a big blow putting a lot of force on it.  This is also a
good time to get a cheap wooden bat and cut down the end and drill a hole to
use as an emergency tiller.  I had an alluminimum one break off in my hand
on a old dingy.  After a hour of trying to steer by holding the blade I got
smart and wedged a small paddle in the groove.  This became the permanent
tiller for the rest of that boats life.  Hope it helps.  Bob W.