Fw: [Rhodes22-list] Anchor Chain Question

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Mar 15 18:19:39 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Pihlaja
To: sanderico at earthlink.net
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Anchor Chain Question

Rik,

The author has done a force balance wherein he has compared the aerodynamic wind loading on the boat's hull and rigging vs. the force required to pull the anchor up out of the bottom.  If the wind loading force is less than the force required to pull the anchor out of the bottom; then, the anchor is successful.  This is a valid engineering approach.  I only had good enough data sets to check the author's calculations for the mud bottom and hard sand bottom cases.  The numbers for wind loading force and anchor holding force check reasonably well for those two cases.  So, despite the weird combination of engineering units, apparently the author did his units conversions correctly.  I still can't get used to force being expressed in kg?  Oh well, maybe that's how the Aussies do things.

Here in the Great Lakes, we commonly get sand, mud, rock, and weedy bottom types in our anchorages.  The author's nomograph & theory apply reasonably well to homogeneous bottom types like mud & sand.  But on a rock bottom, my experience has been that the anchor's holding power is essentially zero until the anchor happens to get caught on or under a rock ledge.  Then, the holding power can be as high as the yield strength of the steel in the anchor's flukes!  That's why anchor types that have a lot of "hooks", like the grapnel, are preferred on a rock bottom, because they are much more likely to get hooked up than other types.  The author's theory and nomograph don't present a realistic picture of anchoring in this situation at all.  The reality of anchoring in this situation is more like a digital "go" or "no-go" type of answer vs. the continuum implied by the author's theory.

Similarly, on a weedy bottom, a standard Danforth type anchor will simply "skip" along the weed bed, shearing off weeds, & collecting them in its flukes until it looks like a ball of vegetation.  The Danforth anchor is very unlikely to be able to penetrate the weed bed to dig into the bottom.  Whereas, plow type anchors, like the Bruce & CQR, will tend to penetrate the weed bed & get into the bottom.  But, even a plow type anchor may not penetrate the weed bed every time and several attempts may be required to properly set the anchor.  The anchor's holding power is near zero if the anchor doesn't penetrate the bottom and I'll accept the author's predicted results for holding power if the anchor does penetrate the bottom.  Knowing your anchor is plenty big enough to keep you in place would be small consolation if you couldn't get it to penetrate the weed bed & every time you pulled it up it looked like a giant ball of tangled weeds.  Again, the author's theory and nomograph just don't present a realistic picture of actual anchoring on a weedy bottom.

A few years ago, Practical Sailor magazine did an anchor comparison test which included the Flook Flying Anchor.  As I recall the test, the Flook anchor didn't perform as advertised.  It didn't "fly" thru the water like it was supposed to, didn't set especially well compared to Danforth & CQR types, and the holding power was no better than those types.  Practical Sailor magazine concluded the Flook anchor was snake oil.

Bottom line, the theory and nomograph are useful for basically sizing the anchor for your boat.  But, you still need to carry sufficient different anchor types to handle the various bottom types in the area where you sail & you need to know when to use what type of anchor.  The theory presented is really only valid for homogeneous types of bottoms like sand or mud.  The more nonhomogeneous the bottom type, the less well the theory works.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium