[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Mar 25 02:45:29 EST 2005

Slim,

I'm way out of my depth here.  I know little enough about anchoring, and
less about anchoring in serious weeds.

"Kellet" and "sentinel" mean the same thing.

Some people do advocate 2, and even 3 hooks on the same line.  Each is
set separately, in a different orientation from a bridle that joins the
3 under water.  Seems complicated to me, and now you are trying to haul
up 3 anchors (and chain?) at the same time.  I'll probably stick with 3
lines.

Your understanding of how a sentinel works is the same as mine.  The
problem is that I don't anchor in 50 feet of water, so the sentinel
would drag my anchor line to the bottom, potentially fouling the line
between my Danforth and the sentinel, and subjecting it to chafe.  This
is my problem with the 6, 8, 16, or 22 foot lengths of chain.  No matter
how you figure it, with adequate scope and slack conditions some of the
line is going to end up on the bottom.

And in high wind conditions, the sentinel will not be heavy enough to
alter the angle of the line from the bow to the anchor.

Compared to the size of the anchors I am now using, the plows are
extremely unwieldy.  The folding grapnels are the size of my fist.  The
mushrooms are the size of a cantaloupe.

Once I was sure I knew how to set Fortress anchors, I disassembled them
and stored them in special bags designed for the purpose along with all
the hardware and tools necessary to reassemble them. They can be
reassembled and deployed in less than 5 minutes.  They would never be
the first anchor I would use in an emergency.  I always have the pretty
Danforth hanging off the bow, and I have line (with chain) in the bow
tray, ready to snap onto any anchor I think is most appropriate.

One of the nice things about no chain, small low-tech anchors is that
the whole rig is cheap, and you can always cut them loose if you simply
can't retrieve them.  This has never happened to me, but knowing I've
only got $10 to $15 at stake makes it much easier to throw something at
a problem and see if it works.  The real surprise is that most of them
work, can be retrieved, are less of a hassle, don't drag, are stronger
than required, and ultimately afford more peace of mind.

Let me know what works for you.

Bill Effros