[Rhodes22-list] Re: mooring

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Mar 25 03:03:04 EST 2005

David,

Always go with local knowledge--it's not always right, but usually errs
in the direction of overkill.  Do whatever everyone else does, and it
will almost surely be fine.

Not only does my anchor weigh 300 pounds, but it also has an enormous
chain that makes the tackle much heavier to handle than it probably
should be.  (BTW the chain never has a catenary curve--it's got to
weight 75-100 lbs.)  It also requires costly servicing, and periodic
replacement; and is difficult to unwrap when it wraps around the shank
of the mushroom anchor.  (Which it has done and caused the boat to lift
the anchor out of the mud and move it to shallower water.)

Still, I stick with the crowd, and do what everyone else does.  You
should, too.  (As I remember it, I wound up with 300 lbs. because that
was what the guy had, and he made me a deal to install it for the same
price as a smaller anchor he would have had to buy.)

Bill Effros