[Rhodes22-list] PHRF Measurements

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 30 08:48:52 EST 2005

Hello Rhodies,

Last night I measured Raven and sent in the PHRF form to NC-PHRF.  These
measurements are fairly accurate, but not perfect, so I caution the reader.
I believe they are just fine for PHRF rating application purposes.  However,
for measuring for new sails, suggest you follow your sailmakers form and
measure to the millimeter.  Raven is IMF.

J =  8.33'
I =   27'
P =  24.16'
E =  9.5'

SPL  (spinnaker pole length) and G (spinnaker girth) I left blank.  Raven
has a Doyle UPS cruising spinnaker that uses no pole.  I have a Forespar HD
6-12 adjustable whisker pole from another boat that will work just fine to
wing out the 175.

Since I feel sailboat races are won going to windward, I've chosen to sail
this year in the non-spinnaker class.  With the excellent sailing handling
capacity of the R22 IMF I think it would be easily possible to race
single-handed (or with passive crew) if the situation arose.  The 175 winged
out probably presents almost as much area as the UPS, but with more area
down low.

Have any others raced PHRF?  If so, what rating have your local committees
given to your IMF R22s?

Fair winds,

PT

PS~  Will, Ed suggested this be posted to the FAQ.  Could you arrange that?