[Rhodes22-list] PHRF Measurements

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Mar 30 10:36:04 EST 2005

Peter,

Here is a reply from Roger in 2000:

I've not been able to find any specific PHRF reference to Rhodes 22's with
IMF vs the standard rig.  The USYRU PHRF Rating Handbook gives a range of
258 sec/mile to 312 sec/mile, all fleets indicating limited racing
experience (reflecting the relatively small number of Rhodes 22 out there
which are being PHRF raced)  I suspect the 312 sec/mile rating is with IMF &
258 sec/mile is with the standard rig.

The race committee at the Lake Dardanelle Sailing Club in Russellville, AR
had no experience with a PHRF rating for the Rhodes 22.  They started me out
at 300 sec/mile in 1987.  I was steadily adjusted downward until my rating
was 234 sec/mile in the fall, 1990 season.  In light to moderate air, I
could sail to this rating if I didn't make any mistakes & Daniel, my
foresail trimmer (7 years old at the time), didn't lose his concentration.
At about 15 knots apparent wind speed, I needed to reef the boat to keep her
sailing on her lines & could no longer sail to this rating.  With the
standard mainsail & if you sail in an area with predominantly light to
moderate air, if you can get a PHRF rating greater than about 260 sec/mile;
then, smile quietly & clear off a space on the mantle for the silver!