[Rhodes22-list] Dolphin rescue: Advanced Care

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Wed Mar 30 10:23:00 EST 2005

We are planning advanced care and rescue tomorrow for a juvenile
bottlenosed dolphin that is trapped in an isolated channel over in Laguna
Vista...I'll be using the Le Menageries Zodiac and 6hp Evindrude (If I can
manage to remove the lower unit bottom plug to change the oil...damn thing
is stuck), and will handle the running portion of the purse seine and try
an lasso the sucker...then relocate it over to a (hopefully) receptive pod
south of the Queen Isabella causeway. There'll be two other zodiacs, a
small johnboat and our 24' Carolina Skiff too...and about 20 feds, local
and private individuals to assist. Weather is calling for galeforce
northwest tomorrow too...should be a real circus. I'll letcha know the
outcome...
BTW Sailing weather is great today, SW winds around 10, slightly overcast,
and highs around 92. Too busy to go out though...might be able to get away
this evening for an hour or so with the NMFS and stranding network folks
who are down here for the event...but they MUST provide rum.
Have a great day ya'll
jw

Jim White
Le Menagerie