[Rhodes22-list] Re: Rebuilding the rudder head

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Mon May 2 00:27:25 EDT 2005

On my 2 page to do list I've gotten down to "replace the rudder head".  I
did this on my other Rhodes many years ago using marine grade 3/4 inch
mahogany plywood laminated together.  It worked, but was a bit bulky.  My
current boat has grey 3/8 plastic "cheeks" but I am not confident that there
hasn't been some deterioration over the last 20 years.  Since I am planning
to have the boat in the Baja for 6 weeks I don't want it to fail down there.
Any Idea of either the type of plastic that would be ok to use (after all
the original lasted 20 years) or would 1/4-3/8 plate aluminum be either too
heavy or the problem of electrolysis with the SS fittings too much of a
headache?  Any other Ideas?  I know some of you guys have done this so if I
can learn from someone else's mistakes rather than my own that would be a
good thing.

Chris Geankoplis
SV (oh-I-don't-know-my-wife-wants-to-change-the-
-boat's-name)
Medford OR