[Rhodes22-list] Dockside power and marine charger

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue May 24 11:36:16 EDT 2005

Following up on Bill's comments, I also have a battery monitor, and I
feel that is one of the most important pieces of electrical equipment on
my boat for the same reasons cited by Bill below.

I have shore power (which I have never used) Solar (which constantly
"tops off" my batteries, and which I would recommend if you are on a
mooring) and an electric start motor (which almost always means you also
have an alternator).

I am on a mooring and store my boat in a boat yard all winter.  It is
never near shore power, so a battery charger won't work for me.  My
system is completely self sufficient, and my batteries remain in good
condition for twice their rated life.  I have never run out of
electricity.

Being on a mooring is no different from constantly cruising, as far as
the boat is concerned.  I come and go, and I bring supplies back and
forth, but the boat is always out there.

I leave my batteries on board year round, and I never disconnect
anything.  When I'm working on the boat during the fall and winter, and
it's sitting on the trailer, I crank up my boat stereo, recharge my cell
phone and marine radio from the boat's electrical system, and plug all
my 12V appliances into the boat's electrical system.

I like the cheap old wet cell batteries because they are the most
tolerant of overcharging.  My batteries are currently at 13.90 v, and
will go over 14 v at rest during the summer.  This has not hurt them a
bit. When they go below 13 v at rest I replace them.

I have 2 batteries on board, but I probably only need 1.  The second
falls into the cheap insurance category.

Bill Effros