[Rhodes22-list] Dockside power and marine charger

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Tue May 24 10:59:25 EDT 2005

Tom,
Congratulations.  You will  not be disappointed.  Your need for shore power
and charger really depends on your specific circumstance and budget.  If
you are going to keep your boat in a slip that has power, and you will be
running a/c devices in your boat, then having a shore power option would be
nice to have.  These items are really a matter of convenience.  Many Rhodes
owners simply run an extension cord to a portable battery charger.  If you
are like most sailors, I think you will find that you will use your deep
cycle batteries only occasionally.  But everyone is different.  I have two
deep cycle batteries and recently got back from a 4 day trip and was amazed
at how little of the batteries capacity I used.  How did I know?  I
installed a Xantrex Battery Monitor (new version of the Link 10).  It is
not cheap, but it really allows you to manage your power consumption and,
most of all it gives you peace of mind that you are not going to run out of
juice if you leave your cabin lights on for another hour.  It really boils
down to the cafeteria syndrome.  Each option is really nice to have, but
they all really add up and by the time you get to the cashier your $7 lunch
turns into a $20 banquet.

Regarding bottom paint, if you trailer your boat at all, I know a number of
folks around here (Ft. Loudon Lake in Knoxville, TN) have used VC17.  It
will not rub off on your trailer bunks.

Bill W.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "tbrown202"            |
|         |           <tbrown202 at sc.rr.com>  |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           rhodes22-list-bounces at r|
|         |           hodes22.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           05/22/2005 12:09 PM    |
|         |           Please respond to The  |
|         |           Rhodes 22 mail list    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>                                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [Rhodes22-list] Dockside power and marine charger                                                            |

I have contracted to purchase a recycled Rhodes 22 with delivery in August
2005.  The boat will have the "Ultimte Power Package" with solar battery
charger.  The boat will primarily be used on a freshwater lake (Murray in
Columbia, SC).  Would appreciate opinion as to whether either or both shore
power and marine charger options to be advisable (cost of $450 each).

    Also would appreciate opinions as to other owner's experiences
regarding bottom paint for fresh water use, i.e. type paint, brands,
frequency of repainting, etc.

            Tom Brown