[Rhodes22-list] Internet from your boat?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue May 24 15:07:36 EDT 2005

Brad,

Don't get suckered by press releases.

There are places in Greenwich that can't get cell phone service.

I've used a cell phone as a modem.  It works.  But...

The key to making it useful is the software that connects you to the
Internet.  If the software starts you all over again every time you lose
the signal for a fraction of a second, it's not useful.

For what most of us use it for now, high speed is not important.  If I'm
heading for the rocks, downloading a chart is not the first thing I'm
likely to do--no matter how fast the connection.

My T-Mobile connection is slow as shit.  It's rated at 10-20 kbs.   But
it only costs me $20 a month, and I can take  it for one month, drop it
the next, pick it up again 2 months later...

And if I'm heading for an area where I don't have a chart I can find the
chart in a minute using google, and download it while I'm making dinner.

If I'm sending an email like this one, it takes me 15 minutes to write
it, no matter how fast my connection, but once I push the send key,
there is no difference in the amount of time it takes to send compared
to my high speed cable at home.

I'm not really going to lug around a laptop on a commuter train so I can
watch CNN in the event of a delay.

I have a WiFi card for my laptop, also, so I can work high speed
anywhere I can pick up a signal.  I find I don't do that.  The T-Mobile
signal is everywhere I go, it's solid, and it's fast enough for what I
really want to do.  Hunting down wifi takes more time than I lose due to
the slowness of my system.

And then there's that $20 a month for unlimited use.  I find I actually
use it all the time.  The slowness of my laptop compared to my desktop
machine is far more frustrating than the slowness of my connection.

For what it's worth,

Bill Effros