[Rhodes22-list] Internet from your boat?

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 12:43:26 EDT 2005

Bill,

My IBM X40 came set-up from the factory for wireless
and I installed a wireless router in my home.  I use
it sometimes if I don't want to wait for the desktop
or want to work on the deck, but have found it
frustrating at home and at work.  At FedEx I usually
just plug into one of the many LAN plugs because the
wireless drops off about every five minutes. I have
had some good success on the road however tapping into
other's unsecured networks rather than pay the hotel's
$10 a day for DSL. Frankly, I don't need it that much
on the boat but would like to have access when staying
overnight.

What is really driving this search for technology is
my best friend.  He would like to spend more time on
my boat and at the building we bought near the lake.
He doesn't trade stocks much and discourages his
clients from trading, but he needs to handle a dozen
phone calls a day from the boat and look at stock
prices at the same time. He has Cingular as well and
forwarding his office calls to the boat is a
no-brainer. Slow speed wouldn't be a problem for
either of us.  We can get DSL at the building but
neither of us would use it enough to justify it. We
could also use my NetZero dial-up account but we don't
have a landline. Both the Verizon and Cingular data
plans look good but $80 a month times 12 is almost a
thousand bucks.  I can't justify it and my friend Ken
invented copper wire fighting some dude over a penny.

If we can come up with a cheap solution that allows
him to talk and surf at the same time - problem over.
The day I beached the boat and unexpectedly spent the
night on the water(or land as the case may be) I just
called Fan on the cellphone and had her look-up what I
needed.  Ken would like to semi-retire and still take
care of his clients.  He can't find anyone to sell to
that he trusts (he struck out on his own because he
refused to stick clients with what his brokerage firm
was trying to sell them) and hasn't been successful
finding a partner other than some local banks who want
to shove the same shitty products on his customers.
Somewhere out there is a solution!

Brad

=== message truncated ===