[Rhodes22-list] Satire: Memorial Day Origins - Thank You R-22 Veterans

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun May 29 10:45:25 EDT 2005

Brad,

I am not maligning auto racing.  Probably the biggest factor in uniting
this nation around the celebration of Memorial Day was the decision to
hold the Indianapolis 500 auto race on that day in a Northern state
witnessed primarily by Southern people.  Memorial Day has become the
official start of Summer for the whole country.  Few remember who or
what it really is meant to memorialize, or how bitter even the
celebration of the day was not so long ago.

With regard to your statement that "For the last 25 years, only Southern
rednecks get the keys to the bighouse." I will give you Bill Clinton.
Jimmy Carter wasn't elected within the past 25 years.  Ronald Reagan was
from Illinois.   Both of the Bush boys are from my home state of
Connecticut, and were born into a powerful New England political machine
without which neither one could have become President.

But if you want to keep conning the rednecks into thinking that we are
with them while we use their resources to pay our bills...it's kind of
irresistible.  That is, after all, what the Civil War was really about,
wasn't it?  Let's just hope they don't catch on, again.

Bill Effros