[Rhodes22-list] Satire: Memorial Day Origins - Thank You R-22 Veterans

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 08:35:18 EDT 2005

Bill,

The only thing my hometown had going for it was it had
the only dirt track within 50 miles.  That was the
only entertainment available on weekends and I spent
enough time watching cars go around in circles to last
me a lifetime.  You can't escape it here though, even
FedEx has a car to compete with the UPS car.  I get
updates every time I log-on the company website  to
check my schedule.  We've had this discussion in the
cockpit several times, if we want to solve the energy
problem, tell Nascar they have to run a 500 mile race
on a hundred gallons.  Those boys are some pretty
bright and talented innovators.  They'd come up with a
solution.

The bit about Southern Redneck Presidents was
plagiarized (something I perfected in grad school)
from a comedy sketch by Vic Henley.  Yeah, I know
where they're all from.  Clinton had his own political
machine as well, and the Stephens brothers punished
him after one term as Governor and put in Frank White.
 Billy got the message and played their game and Frank
White took a job at Stephens for his reward.  I've
toned down my critism of Billy lately because I want
his help.  I'm trying to get a guy hired on as a pilot
but I'm just one of 4500 other pilots trying to get
someone to fill less than 200 slots.  This kid's (he's
40) grandfather married Virginia Kelly (Clinton's
mother, now deceased) and he has been reluctant to ask
the former President for help because most crew-forces
are very politically conservative.  I told him to use
all the resources he's got, once he gets the
interview, no one will ever know who pushed the
buttons.

The South didn't stand a chance in the Civil War given
the disparity of resources.  They got the best leaders
out of West Point and it unfortunately took Lincoln a
long time to find a competent General.  One of my
favorite stories from the war remains the one about
the Washington Army brass telling Lincoln that Grant
was a drunk. Lincoln replied, "Find out what brand of
whiskey he drinks and send a case to all my Generals!"

See you later, gone sailing!

Brad

=== message truncated ===