[Rhodes22-list] In Response to Ed

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 30 11:46:06 EDT 2005

I am sending the list this picture using Picasa2, a free program
available from Google.  Click here to learn about and download the program:

http://www.picasa.com/

Once installed, the program will scour your hard drive for every
picture, no matter where it is located.  This can take a while.  It then
provides itself with a Google-like index so it can find them back when
you want them.  Every time you add another picture, Picasa automatically
adds it along with a thumbnail to its index.

It took me less than 15 seconds to find this picture of Slim's boat,
showing where his boat name is on the boat.  This is the most typical
location on a Rhodes-22.  I didn't know I had this picture, but I knew
what I wanted to post.

Picasa2 includes a simple and intuitive photo enhancing utility, and I
could just as easily have printed this photo as attach it to email.
Because the photo was clearly shot, there was no need to enhance it,
straighten it, remove red-eye, turn it into a sepia print, etc.  But I
could have.

I could also just as easily have sent the photo to an outside service
for printing and had them return the finished prints to me by mail.

The learning curve on the program is short.  You can start doing what
you are trying to accomplish within minutes of it completing its
indexing.  When emailing, it automatically scales down the size of your
picture to email size.  You can specify the size.  I have it send out
the pictures as jpg, because I agree with Ed that this is the most
universal email format, and Michael's program easily picks them up and
makes them available to the list.  (Brad--I never see your pictures
because your pictures come through  in .bin format and I have been too
lazy to adapt my programs to handle this format.)

You can link Picasa2 to the email program you like to use, so sending
the email is done the way you always do it.

In this case, I went to a group of photos in a folder called R-22, saw
Slim's boat in thumbnail size, noticed his large boat name, selected the
photo by clicking on the thumbnail, pressed the "email" button on the
bottom, which put me into the Thunderbird email program I use.  Slim's
photo was automatically attached and sized.  I inserted the subject
line, and wrote this text.

I will next go to my own address book, pull out the list address, and
hit the send button.

Of course, I will be embarrassed if the picture does not come through as
a clickable link below, but if that happens, I will figure it out, and
get back to you.

If it does come through for me, it will be just as sure and simple for
you.

Bill Effros