[Rhodes22-list] Gasoline spill under the floor

b.ivers at att.net b.ivers at att.net
Mon May 30 18:36:59 EDT 2005

   After a sail on Pyramid Lake. (60 mi. N. of Reno) I was cleaning and detailing our 76 model R-22. It was the end of a perfact day. After flushing the Yamaha 9.9 I decided to disconnect the fuel line, when the phone rang. The call generated a couple more calls and I dropped the disconnected fuel line in the deep opening at the aft end of the cockpit. I did not know the connector had a bad o-ring. Overnight it siphoned 4 gallons of gas under the cabin floor.
   Up to now what I have done is wash with a fiberglass friendly degresser and 20 gal of water and go for a drive to slosh the liquid around. Then using a syarange to evacuate all the liquid and clean it up as best I could. I have done this twice with very good results. BUT there is still a slight smell that is not plessant.
   I am looking for remedy for aftersmell. Ther is no more fire danger so I might use a small 6" fan and draw air out of underspace via the 5" inspection  hole in the center of the cabin. Any other ideas. I cannot wait for all the match jokes, flamming r-22 jokes and usual jabs and pokes. Hit me Rummy I deserve it.  Barry