[Rhodes22-list] Gasoline spill under the floor

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 30 15:23:07 EDT 2005

Holy Shit! Barry.

"No more fire danger?"  I think not.

I can only tell you a story from my misspent youth.

Along with some friends, I completely disassembled a 1955 Oldsmobile
Rocket 88 when I was in high school.  We were going to put it back
together again, but we never got around that.

When we took off the gas tank, we were very concerned about our safety,
so we got a garden hose and immediately started running water through
the tank night and day for five days.  We then stopped the water and
sniffed.  There was still a slight gasoline odor which we felt no amount
of water was going to get rid of.  So we put the tank in the shade,
outside, to let it air dry.  We did this for three days, and when we
were done the gasoline odor was almost gone.

So we put the tank out in the sun, and left it there for a week.  By the
end of the week there was virtually no odor at all.  We felt it was
completely safe.  "But how can we be sure?" asked my friend Matt.
"Light a match, and throw it in."  Said my friend Bob.  "It's the only
way we can be sure."

And so we did.  The flames that came shooting out of that gas tank were
between 10 and 20 feet long.  The gasoline continued to burn for roughly
5 minutes.  No one got hurt.  But it's a lesson I've never forgotten.

Now you may think I'm exaggerating, and maybe I am -- it happened a long
time ago.  But ask yourself this question "Would I be willing to put my
boat to Bob's test?"  I wouldn't do it, and quite frankly, I wouldn't
ever want to go on that boat.

After the fire in the gas tank burned itself out, and our pulses
returned to normal, Bob said "I'll bet if we throw in another match, it
won't light up again."  And so we did.  And Bob was right.  There was no
gasoline left in the tank.

This is the only method I know to be completely sure you have gotten rid
of all spilled gasoline.  I would not recommend this method for your boat.

Bill Effros