[Rhodes22-list] Gasoline spill under the floor

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 30 16:54:57 EDT 2005

Barry,

I agree with Brad.  I don't think your boat is in constant danger of
exploding.  It might burn down to the water line, but it probably won't
explode.  The 747 should not have exploded either--its gas tanks were
designed to suppress fires.  Something went wrong.

The World Trade Center was also designed to suppress the effects of
burning jet fuel.  It failed, also.  Not once, but twice.

Perfume is not gasoline.

Gasoline is amazingly volatile.  It puddles.  It seeps.  It coats.  It
packs an extraordinary number of btus into a very small volume.  It has
an ignition temperature of almost 500 degrees--which is why you don't
hear of many gas tanks on boats exploding in the sun.

The space under the floor of a Rhodes connects to just about
everything.  4 gallons of gas is a lot, and you have no way of knowing
how many gallons of gas you have removed.

You are playing with lives here.  Do you really have the courage of your
convictions?  Would you be willing to take a thimbleful of gas and put a
match to it?  (I wouldn't, and haven't.)  What happens?  Are you sure
there isn't a thimbleful of gas puddled somewhere inside your boat?  How
about throwing a thimbleful of gas into the barbecue?

I know this sounds shrill, but ever since that day (and it really did
happen) I have been very very careful with gasoline.  People used to use
gasoline as a solvent to clean their floors.  You don't hear much about
that any more.  I think it's a Darwin Award thing.

I assume your motor has an electric start.  Are the terminals inside the
lazarette?  I have seen electricity arc across the terminals at night, a
scary thing.

Call me paranoid.  I wouldn't want to call you "KaBoom!"

And with that, Rummy entered, stage left.  The last time we checked,
Rummy was pouring gasoline, using a large funnel, into a specially
designed bladder which he stores in the lazarette of his boat.

Bill Effros