[Rhodes22-list] Fandango's Finally Wet

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Tue May 31 01:45:09 EDT 2005

Finally!  We got some very nice whether today and splashed three boats
including Fandango.  We didn't actually sail--we just launched the boat with
the mast down and motored around to the dock.  Then we sunk the mooring
poles and got the boat fully secured at the dock.

Incidentally, we have a great method of sinking poles into the lake bottom:
We have a piece of 1/2" copper pipe that's about 7 or 8 feet long that has a
garden hose connection on one end. It's a home-made thing with a shut-off
valve and all.  We turn on the hose and water squirts through the pipe and
we use this as a "drill."  I get out in the water wearing my waders and get
the pole in position.  Then take the "hydro-drill" and position it parallel
to the pole.   I stick it down on the bottom with the water running full
blast and as I work it up and down along the pole, it squirts the sand away
and the pole goes down as if I'm sinking it in hot butter.  Effortless!
Within an hour or two, the sand fills back in and the pole is solid in the
bottom.  Pulling the pole out is just as easy.  A few squirts with the
"hydro-drill" and the pole easily lifts out by hand.

So thus, I sank my four mooring poles, secured the boat and then raised the
mast on the water.  We secured the other boats in the fleet as well.
Everything went smoothly and we're fully good-to-go now, but God, am I
pooped!

It's Summer!   8-)

Slim