[Rhodes22-list] Sail Life

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 7 13:31:54 EST 2005

>   What do you think about Doyle's StackPack?<

I know nothing of this.  However anything which involves elaborate rigging
is sure to foul at the worst time, produce endless aggravation and excess
windage aloft.  Windage aloft is the last thing a Rhodes needs!

My Rhodes came with a blown out mainsail.  I ordered a new main with a
couple of full length battens. Even though they add weight aloft  I like
them because they do an excellent job of controlling the draft.  With
smallish sails the pocket near the head doesn't set right with short
battens.  On the other hand if the full length battens are to stiff it's no
good also.  Remember, with a full batten sail comes the probability of
jamming when hoisting or lowering.

You will be sailing on Rockaway inlet.  A venue given to strongish
sea-breezes.  I had my boat delivered with a 145% genny.  It was frequently
to much for single handing although mostly alrite when crewed.  I suggest
you drop down to a 125% head sail on a reefer and consider a drifter as a
future purchase.

Richard Smith

PS: I originally intended to moor the boat across the harbor at Great Kills.
Conditions on Raritan Bay are much different then those you will experience.
In my opinion ideal for a Rhodes.  On Raritan Bay a 150% genny would be
ideal .