[Rhodes22-list] Vietnam era music

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 17:37:22 EST 2005

Bob,

Our living quarters were very primitive. They were wooden shacks up off the
ground and had tin roofs. The roofs were tied to the ground with barbed wire
so  the tropical storms wouldn't destroy them. There was a wall of 55 gallon
drums  filled with dirt surrounding the hut and sand bags on top of them. Each
hut had  a bomb shelter next to it which was a hole in the ground with a roof
covered  with sand bags. While I was there we dug ours up and replaced it with
the shell  of an old VTR (Vehicular track Retriever, BIG tank retriever) We
buried it in  the ground and piled lots of sand bags on top of it. I felt very
secure in  there. Our beds were cots, no mattress's and we hung mosquito
netting over the  bed. Slept on something called a poncho liner and had a pillow
sent from home.  Sleeping in the field was a whole different story. Ever gone a
month without a  shower?
The rainy season was cold and wet so I had the family send me an electric
heater. That was considered a luxury, but at least I could dry my clothes when
they got washed.
I'll see if I can dig up a couple of pictures I still have laying around
somewhere. I'll try to post them to the list.

Rummy