[Rhodes22-list] A Reply to Lou, expert boat rebuilder

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Mon Nov 14 18:28:07 EST 2005

>Ed K,

  Thanks for that info also as you are correct they do sell a sealant
remover, but I think most of its probably containing mineral spirits
with a twist.

Since many of you don't sail in salt water you don't have to worry
but, if you do I would pull the board up every 2 or 3yrs and look at
the pin sheath. If its completely worn out, it could put more strain
on the wood pin, assuming you have a wood pin like mine.  My pin is a
cylindrical pc of wood that appears to  have been wetted out several
times with epoxy and smoothed out very nicely from use.  The  SS
sheath is the piece I am referring to that should be checked if you
are in salt water.   I recently read somewhere that
  stainless steel  (alloys) only really works as protectant of steel
when oxygen is present.  In the confines of the trunk and the pin
hole the 0-2 level drops and metal begins to corrode.

thanks again for the advice
  Lou
Miracles / Project boat