[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Cheryl O

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Nov 15 12:08:48 EST 2005

Cheryl,
	Basing any conclusion on exit polls or opinion polls is a complete
lack of understanding Americans.  When asked who I supported when leaving a
polling place I and many more like me either decline comment (which poll
takers do not count) or give an intentionally wrong answer just to screw up
polls.  Obviously when the votes are counted, it does not come out the way
the poll takers or mass media wanted.  I suspect that swing vote or
undecided in the polls are just a bunch of Americans many who regard the
national liberal media with distain.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  Here is another interesting topic from Germany:
  A 25-year-old waitress who turned down a job providing "sexual services"
at a brothel in Berlin faces possible cuts to her unemployment benefit under
laws introduced this year.

Prostitution was legalized in Germany just over two years ago and brothel
owners - who must pay tax and employee health insurance - were granted
access to official databases of jobseekers.

The waitress, an unemployed information technology professional, had said
that she was willing to work in a bar at night and had worked in a cafe.

She received a letter from the job centre telling her that an employer was
interested in her "profile" and that she should ring them. Only on doing so
did the woman, who has not been identified for legal reasons, realize that
she was calling a brothel.

Under Germany's welfare reforms, any woman under 55 who has been out of work
for more than a year can be forced to take an available job - including in
the sex industry - or lose her unemployment benefit. Last month German
unemployment rose for the 11th consecutive month to 4.5 million, taking the
number out of work to its highest since reunification in 1990.

The government had considered making brothels an exception on moral grounds,
but decided that it would be too difficult to distinguish them from bars. As
a result, job centers must treat employers looking for a prostitute in the
same way as those looking for a dental nurse.