[Rhodes22-list] Another way to look at it [politico-hystorical {sic}]

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Nov 15 16:49:19 EST 2005

Hmmmm, I'm no political expert, or historical scholar, but haven't we, fairly recently, seen an "unseating" of a dominant political power?

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> robert at squirrelhaven.com 11/15/2005 3:12:52 PM >>>
I think the current crop of debaters have it wrong.

Elections have become just the jumping-off point for
the (re)selection of leadership.  Given that we
ossify the two-party system, stop searching for or
neglect any new-found facts, dismiss reason in the
name of loyalty, and decry compromise as a weakness,
we are on a one-way trip to an oligarchy.

Once it has a chance to consolidate its gains with
judicial appointments and its economic policy with a
crushing national debt, there will be no way to unseat
any entrenched party, whether or not it has a
micro-majority -- because the ballot box no longer
has relevance.

"It doesn't matter how the people vote.
What matters is who counts the votes."

/Joseph Stalin

Let's shift the discussion to where it may do some
good.  Let's figure out what our options are at this
point (are they diminishing daily?), where we want to
go from here, how we can get there, and get about it.

Mud only obscures our vision.

I do not live in terror of the future, or of a few
deranged people with big weapons, but rather fear what
we as a nation will loose if we don't get our economic
act together and take a more cooperative stance in
dealing with the rest of the world -- it's bigger than
we are, in case anyone has not noticed, and our
adverse balance of trade has mortgaged our ability to
call the world-wide economic tune.

Time to get real, and take a broader view, doncha
think?

/Robert Skinner