[Rhodes22-list] Iraq. The war.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Nov 16 19:17:13 EST 2005

Hank,
That's was my point. If you can't secure the borders, I doubt very much  that
you can win the war. We created a vacuum and the insurgents are filling it
and will continue until the "coalition" has finally had enough and leave.
In spite of the vast expanse of borders, we certainly have the technology  to
detect infiltrators and stop them before they could get very far into the
country. I suppose you then run into the problem of native tribesman who
normally use those routes to get around and do business. Probably a few camels
would get killed, but less of a loss than human life.
I'm also sure that the insurgents use specific routes to enter the country,
using safe houses and places where supplies are stored for them. You never
hear  about these places being found on the news. When the war first started, the
 border crossings along major highways should have been sealed and they
weren't.  Most of Sadaam's henchmen made it to Jordan and Syria crossing the
borders  in private vehicles. Just my personal views on tactics based on a years
experience in Vietnam and six years of military/tactical training.

Rummy