[Rhodes22-list] questions/opinions

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 17 09:59:10 EST 2005

Ron:  As to your questions:

1.  '84 would get you on the water.  The '89 -'90 probably has a few more
upgrades which would be nice to have.
2.  While we never overnighted on our Rhodes the initial owner and his wife
routinely spent a week to two weeks (and one year three weeks) living
aboard.  They would anchor out for two to three nights and hit a marina for
supplies and water for a night.  The owner was well over 6' but his wife was
just over 5'.  They had the factory pop top room and used solar showers.
3.Can not speak to Chesapeake, but the Florida coast has plenty of
thunderstorms.  We unfortunately were caught out in a few.  The boat always
brought us home safely.
4.  Motors are always a topic.  Not being mechanical, I'd probably opt for
new.  Horsepower depends on where you sail.  For the Florida inlets we opted
for the Yamaha 9.9 long shaft but a 5hp will get you in and out of most
marina areas.  Stan uses (or used to use) an electric trolling motor to get
in and out of his canal when he couldn't sail in and out, which is rare.
The FAQ area has tons on this topic.

We owned out R22 for ten years and consider it the best
entertainment/recreation dollars we ever spent.  While we have moved to
larger boat when it comes to the point where we can no longer handle a 37'
boat, we are back in the Rhodes 22 without question.  I have been sailing
small boats for over 40 years and when it comes to fun and ease, the R22 is
the choice hands down.

Bob on the "NoKaOi"