[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Lou on Motors

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 20 15:20:17 EST 2005

Luis,

I have long considered an electric outboard, but I'm now dropping the idea.

When my Tohatsu gave out at the end of the season I tried attaching a
small electric outboard I purchased years ago as a backup for my
dinghy.  I never used it much on my dinghy because I prefer to row, and
because I soon discovered it worked much better on a big heavy 12 volt
battery, than it did on the more portable starter battery I wanted to use.

When I messed up the Tohatsu, I tried mounting the electric outboard and
discovered all kinds of problems I had never considered before.  Most
notably, the head winds up almost out of arms reach when the prop is
deep enough in the water.  What more, the long handle doesn't fit
between the motor mount and the stern of the boat, so the motor has to
be mounted backwards, decreasing the efficiency of the prop when moving
forward.

While I felt I could work around most of these problems, I then started
to confront the huge underlying problem: how much gas is left in the
tank?  With gasoline powered motors this is pretty easy to determine.
With electrics, it's just a guess.  If I want to motor to New York City
from Greenwich Connecticut, I know exactly how much gas I've got to
take.  Then I take a little more, and I don't have to think about it.  I
can always get more along the way if I need it.

But how many batteries must I take?  And what do I do if the whole thing
gives out on me at the worst possible time.  Like the East River, or
Hell Gate?

I really knew I wasn't going to install an electric outboard when Dave
Bradley offered to let me use his 3 hp gasoline powered outboard.  I
jumped at the offer.  I had been seriously considering either mounting
my electric, or sailing onto my trailer.  But I was not comfortable with
either option.  Dave's little motor took a huge weight off my mind.  It
had no trouble moving the boat from the dock onto the trailer.

I realized that no matter what electric outboard installation I came up
with, it would never be as reliable, powerful -- pound for pound, or as
easily refueled as a gasoline powered engine.

There's a reason most people use internal combustion engines on boats
these days.  I've decided not to reinvent this wheel, although I must
admit, in the abstract I considered it for a long time.

Bill Effros