[Rhodes22-list] For Chris, Baha sailor

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 20 16:21:02 EST 2005

Ed,

Thanks for the pics.  I know a lot of people put plastic pipes over
their stays, but, like Chris, I haven't either, and I've never had any
trouble with it.  I like to be able to see the fittings, all the time.
I never let my sails chafe on the stays.  I never have a problem getting
the genny past the stays (ok--almost never). And I like the less
cluttered look and feel.

I am still using my plastic tie stay system, and still haven't had the
slightest bit of trouble with it.  I don't get scratched by the wire
stays, I can see the stay status at all times, and I can replace stays
in less than 30 seconds.  I never worry about stays falling overboard.
Occasionally they do shear, but they are set so the head jams in the
turnbuckle body, and the turnbuckle doesn't move until I see the problem
and replace the stay.

Bill Effros