[Rhodes22-list] (political) response to Bob Skinner's post

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 11:10:26 EST 2005

Cheryl,

Let’s start with the end of your response first.
Re-read the constitution.  The head of the military is
a civilian, always has been.  Prior military
experience is not a requirement.  Good thing,
otherwise we would have been denied wartime leaders A.
Lincoln (but for a weekend in the Indian hunting
militia), FDR, and that brave warrior, the “Bomber of
Bosnia”, William Jefferson Clinton.  Serving in the
Reserve is hardly avoiding service, look at the number
of Reservists killed in our current battle (I say
battle because the GWT won’t be over in our lifetime).
 One of the lessons we learned from Vietnam (or should
have learned) is that you don’t draft 18 and 19 year
olds, send them into battle with no unit cohesion, and
expect them to be happy soldiers.  Conversely,
spending four months in a war theatre, or four years
for that matter, doesn’t give one magical powers to be
a military leader. And by the way, do you know
anything about the aircraft W flew, or its mission?
Vietnam wasn't any safer nor was his aircraft a
safehaven from 'Nam deployment.

Now let’s start from the top of your letter and work
down.

We needed to send in more troops?  Maybe.  Tommy
Franks position in his book “American Soldier” was
that the logistical tail was already getting too long
during the march to Baghdad and the 4th ID was bogged
down in Kuwait after Turkey denied entry from the
north.  However, and this is a big however, perhaps we
should have followed-up with more “boots” once the
incredibly rapid march toward Baghdad was over.  If
this was a failing, it will be debated in the War
College and by historians for a long time.  We saw how
well LBJ did micro-managing a war from the basement of
the White House.  A President has to rely on the
commanders in the field and their assesments.  You may
be right on this; we may need more troops before we
have less.

“We broke it, we need to fix it.”  Thank you.  That is
what Colin Powell said during the run-up to war, he
called it the “Pottery Barn” rule.  Leaving now
without the legitimate Iraqi government having the
ability to defend itself from civil war would be
foolish.

“How do you suggest that people who are against the
war should express their dissent and dissatisfaction
in such s way as to honor the people doing the
fighting

.?”

Cheryl, there are hundreds if not thousands of blogs
and websites from soldiers in Iraq.  They will be
happy to correspond with you and let you know what
their feelings and needs are.  At least read a few of
them.  Right now they are extremely pissed off at the
press for not covering all the good things that they
are achieving and are mad as hell that members of
Congress are talking “cut and run”.  Try Google.

Brad

=== message truncated ===