[Rhodes22-list] Exploding Porta Potties

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Nov 21 22:45:07 EST 2005

I'll bet your old porta potti isn't as air tight as my new one.

Mine was great in the smell department.

I didn't see the problem coming in the springtime.  It worked just
great.  I was unhappy only with the fact that there was more bulk in the
head compartment.  There is more room to sit in all directions with the
marine head.  My wife used it as a "vanity"--but could not do so with
the porta potty because more of the space was used by holding tanks.
It's subtle, but when you try both you can feel the difference.

Then came summer -- "POW -- Right in the kisser!"

I tried to make opening the potty one of my regular items every time I
got on board.  My boat is in the hot sun all day, every day.  There was
always a pressure build up.  When I remembered to release the pressure
it sort of burped a foul odor.  Understandable.

I agree with Bill that I didn't want a marine head just to appear more
"yachty".  I'm a KISS guy.  But the water seal, and the lower, cooler
holding tank, make for a better head in my circumstances.   Couple that
with a fresh water flush, and Odorloss in the holding tank, and my head
stays as fresh on the boat as it does at home.

OK.  Now that I've got that out of my system...

Bill Effros